MTMS stands for Machine Type/Model and Serial. This is one way to uniquely identify each physical server.
MTMS-based hardware discovery assumes the administrator has the model type and serial number information for the physical servers and a plan for mapping the servers to intended hostname/IP addresses.
- Automatically search and collect MTMS information from the servers
- Write discovered-bmc-nodes to xCAT (recommended to set different BMC IP address)
- Create predefined-compute-nodes to xCAT providing additional properties
- Power on the nodes which triggers xCAT hardware discovery engine
- Limited effort to get servers defined using xCAT hardware discovery engine
- When compared to switch-based discovery, the administrator needs to create the predefined-compute-nodes for each of the discovered-bmc-nodes. This could become difficult for a large number of servers.